Saturday, February 11, 2012

Scents And Sensibility

A few hours ago, as Joy and I were deciding where to eat at the Carson Station, and old friend of the band's crossed our path. She embraced us both, and we chatted for a few minutes. But after she left, we were left with the remains of her perfume. Not like it was bad or anything, but it was heavy and cloying, and even now as I'm typing this - almost seven hours later - her perfume is everywhere, to the point where I really want to take a shower. And something hit me, something I'd never really paid attention to before.

If you know Joy and I, you know that she has her allergies. Lots of them, and some of them quite severe. One of which is to alcohol, specifically the type that's used in perfume - I think it's isopropyl. I've never complained about it. Personally, I've never had much interest in colognes or aftershaves myself. And it hit me right then and there, that none of our really close friends here in Nevada wear colognes or perfumes, either. As close as it gets for us is Mikey, and I kid him mercilessly about what I call 'man-whore juice'. Then he corrects me, and calls it 'man-slut juice'.

So I got to wondering as our friend left but her scent did not - have I chosen my friends by scent, or more exactly, lack thereof? I don't really know for sure. Part of the reason I never had an interest in 'stinky stuff' was the fact that I had no social life whatsoever growing up. Nothing, nada, bupkis. That lack of social interaction at that time in my life is something that still haunts to me to this day, though at the same time I likely wouldn't be here if not for it, because had I been part of that cool crowd, I might have spent more time drinking, smoking, etc., instead of focusing on music. So maybe being a loner in school wasn't such a bad thing after all.

But now it's time for bed. One more night here at the Station, then it's a two-week stint in the old pop-up trailer in Sun Valley, waiting for a gig at the Fandango in Carson. I look forward to resting when I can, playing with the grandbabies when I can, and playing a lot of Fable 3. Oh, and then there's the concert my homey Jeremy and I are going to next Saturday - the mighty Testament, playing at the Knitting Factory in Reno. And before that.....

BRO-FEAST!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment